The international legal regime of outer space between Res Communis and Res Nullius
|1Nihreieva, OO |
1I.I. Mechnikov National University of Odesa, Odesa, Ukraine
|Space Sci. & Technol. 2022, 28 ;(1):23-42|
|Publication Language: Ukrainian|
The publication is devoted to the issue of the international legal regime of outer space. The author attempts to determine the optimal model of international legal regulation for relations regarding the utilization of outer space and its resources.
The basic international legal regimes applied to areas outside the exclusive national jurisdiction are studied. The main attention is paid to the regimes of res nullius, res communis, and the principle of the common heritage of mankind. The current international legal regulation of outer space exploration and utilization activities is analyzed through the prism of these regimes, as well as in the context of the category of global commons, which often includes outer space. It is emphasized that the mentioned category, although widely used in modern scientific legal discourse, is not clearly defined. Given that the concept of public goods has received a special development in economic theory, it is proposed to take into account the economic properties of such goods in developing regimes for their legal regulation.
The peculiarities and complexity of outer space utilization relations as an object of legal regulation are identified. In this regard, a comprehensive and complex international legal regime that combines elements of res nullius, res communis, and the common heritage of mankind in relation to the objects of outer space with different natural and, consequently, economic properties should be elaborated.
In addition, the latest trends in national and international law-making related to the formation of a legal regime for the extraction of celestial bodies resources and the commercialization of these activities are analyzed. Their influence on the international legal regime of outer space and tendencies of its future evolution is determined. The importance of a balanced national approach to a new legal regulation of space resources commercial development is emphasized.
|Keywords: Artemis Accords, common heritage of mankind, global commons, international law-making, international legal regime, outer space, res communis, res nullius, resources of celestial bodies|
1. Vidmachenko A. P. (2006). Small Bodies of the Solar System. Encyclopedia of Modern Ukraine. Eds.: I. M. Dziuba, A. I. Zhukovsky, M. G. Zheleznyak, et al. Kyiv: Institute of Encyclopedic Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. URL: http://esu.com.ua/search_articles.php?id=63101 (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Ukrainian]
2. Grimm D. D. (1919). Lectures on the Dogma of Roman Law: A Guide for Students. 6th ed., corrected and ed. Kiev: Society of Printing and Publishing of Authors-Publishers "Voice". URL: https://dspace.spbu.ru/handle/11701/18236?mode=full (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Russian].
3. Gurova A. M. (2017). Legal Regulation of Mining and Appropriation of Space Resources: Perspective or Adventure. Constitutional state, 28, 493-501 [in Ukrainian].
4. Declaration of Legal Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space: Resolution of the UN General Assembly No. 1962 (XVIII) of December 13, 1963. URL: https://www.un.org/ru/documents/decl_conv/declarations/outerspace_princi... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Russian].
5. Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies of 1967 (entered into force: 10.10.67). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_480#Text (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Ukrainian].
6. Report of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (2017), 60th session (June 7-16, 2017). URL: https://www.unoosa.org/res/oosadoc/data/documents/2017/aac_105l/aac_105l... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Russian].
7. A Vicious Circle: The Struggle for Resources Leads to Conflicts That Destroy Nature (2020): UN News, 17.09.2020. URL:https://news.un.org/ru/story/2020/09/1386042 (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Russian].
8. Ivanov E. (2009). Geocadastral Studies of Mining Areas: Monograph. Lviv: Ivan Franko Lviv National University Publishing Center [in Ukrainian].
9. Kirpachova M. (2020). Behind the Scenes of the Artemis Accords: Analysis of Political and Legal Aspects. Vox Ukraine, 17.11.20. URL: https://voxukraine.org/tag/nasa/ (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Ukrainian].
10. UN Convention on the Law of the Sea of 1982 (entered into force: 16.11.94). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_057#Text (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Russian].
11. Lukashuk I. I. (2005). International law. Special part: textbook. 3rd ed. Moscow: Walters Clover [in Russian].
12. Malysheva N. R. (2021). International Legal Framework for the Development of Resources of the Moon, Mars and Other Celestial Bodies. Space Science and Technology, № 4 (131), 74-82 [in Ukrainian].
13. International Law: textbook. Ed. A. N. Vylegzhanin. 2nd ed. Moscow: Yurayt, 2010 [in Russian].
14. Mirzaee S. (2018). The Concept of the Common Heritage of Mankind in Modern International Law: PhD thesis. Moscow [in Russian].
15. Nihreieva O. O. (2014). International Customary Lawmaking: Some Aspects. Current Problems of State and Law, 74, 123-128 [in Ukrainian].
16. Pashchenko I. Y. (2014). The Concept of the Common Heritage of Mankind in Modern International Law and the Problems of Its Implementation. Sci. Time, № 2, 50-55 [in Russian].
17. Pilipenko A. N., Gorbanev V. S. (2018). Global Goods in the Structure of Public Purpose Goods. Socio-Economic Res. Bull., № 2 (66), 19-28 [in Russian].
18. Podberezkin A. I., Kharkevich M. V. (2015). Peace and War in the XXI Century: The Experience of Long-Term Forecasting of International Relations. Moscow: MGIMO-University [in Russian].
19. Radionov Y. D. (2017). Theory of Production and Provision of Public Goods. Scientific Bull. Uzhhorod Na. Univ. Ser.: Int. Economic Relations and the World Economy, 11, 129-133 [in Ukrainian].
20. Sotnik I. M., Shevelyova D. S. (2015). The Struggle for Limited Resources as a Basis for Military Conflicts. Economic Problems of Sustainable Development: mater. of Int. scientific-practical conf. (Sumy, May 27, 2015). Sumy: SSU, 40-42 [in Ukrainian].
21. Thirty Years of the Moon Agreement: Outcomes and Prospects: Unedited Transcript, Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, Legal Subcommittee (Symposium, Vienna, 23 March 2009). URL: https://www.unoosa.org/pdf/transcripts/legal/LEGAL_T784R.pdf (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Russian].
22. Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies (entered into force: 11.07.84). URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/995_482#Text (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Ukrainian].
23. Alshdaifat Sh. A. (2018). Who Owns What in Outer Space? Dilemmas regarding the Common Heritage of Mankind. Pécs J. Int. and Eur. Law. Vol. II, 21-43 [in English].
24. Anderson S. W., Christensen K., LaManna J. (2018). The Development of Natural Resources in Outer Space. J. Energy & Natural Resources Law, 36, 1-32 [in English].
25. Atkinson N. (2015). What Are Asteroids Made of? URL: https://www.universetoday.com/37425/what-are-asteroids-madeof/ (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
26. Bizzarri K. (2005). Beni pubblici globali. Come gestire la globalizzazione nel 21° Secolo. Firenze: Campagna per la Riforma della Banca Mondiale, Fondazione Culturale Responsabilità Etica [in Italian].
27. Buttigieg J. (2012). The Common Heritage of Mankind: From the Law of the Sea to the Human Genome and Cyberspace. Symposia Melitensia, 8, 81-92 [in English].
28. Bosselmann K. (2017). Governing the Global Commons: the "Planetary Boundaries" Approach. Policy Quarterly, 13(1), 37-42 [in English].
29. Capurso A. (2018). The Non-Appropriation Principle: A Roman Interpretation: 69th International Astronautical Congress, Bremen, Germany, October 1-5, 2018. URL: http://iislweb.org/awards-and-competitions/diederiksverschoor-award/ (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
30. Cherian J. G., Abraham J. (2007). Concept of Private Property in Space - An Analysis. J. International Commercial Law and Technology, 2, № 4, 211-220 [in English].
31. Cocca A. A. (1971). Mankind as the New Legal Subject: A New Juridical Dimension Recognized by the UN. IISL Colloquium on the Law of Outer Space, 14, 209-218 [in English].
32. Collis C. (2017). Territories beyond possession? Antarctica and Outer Space. Polar J., № 7(2), 287-302. URL: https://eprints.qut.edu.au/110967/2/110967.pdf (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
33. Deplano R. (2021). The Artemis Accords: Evolution or Revolution in International Space Law? International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 70, № 3, 799-819 [in English].
34. Ericsson M., Söderholm P. (2010). Mineral Depletion and Peak Production: POLINARES working paper n. 7. Brussels: POLINARES Consortium [in English].
35. Force M. K. (2016). "The Paradox of United States" Position on Regulation of Space Resource Extraction. Proceedings of the IISL, № 9, 259-277 [in English].
36. Forrest C. (2007). Cultural heritage as the common heritage of humankind: a critical re-evaluation. Comp. and Int. Law J. South. Afr.-Cilsa, 40 (1), 124-151 [in English].
37. Global Commons: Expert Paper Series Two. Secretariat of the International Task Force on Global Public Goods. Stockholm: Erlanders Infologistics Väst AB, 2006 [in English].
38. Global Governance and Governance of the Global Commons in the Global Partnership for Development Beyond 2015: Report. UN System Task Force on the Post-2015 Development Agenda. Thematic Think Piece by OHCHR, OHRLLS, UNDESA, UNEP, UNFPA, 2013. URL: = http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/untaskteam_undf/thinkpieces... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
39. Guntrip E. (2003). The Common Heritage of Mankind: an Adequate Regime for Managing the Deep Seabed? Melbourne J. Int. Law, № 4 (2), 376-405 [in English].
40. Heise J. (2018). Space, the Final Frontier of Enterprise: Incentivizing Asteroid Mining Under a Revised International Framework. Michigan J. Int. Law, 40, № 1, 189-213 [in English].
41. Jeff Bezos Says Sales of Blue Origin Space Tourist Flights Are 'Approaching $100 Million' Already, July 20, 2021. URL: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-space-tourist-sal... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
42. Kaul I., Mendoza R. U. (2003). Advancing the Concept of Public Goods. Providing Global Public Goods: Managing Globalization. Eds I. Kaul, P. Conceicao, K. Le Goulven, R. U. Mendoza. Oxford: Oxford University Press [in English].
43. Leon A. M. (2018). Mining for Meaning: An Examination of the Legality of Property Rights in Space Resources. Virginia Law Review, 104, 497-546 [in English].
44. Masson-Zwaan T., Palkovitz N. (2017). Regulation of Space Resource Rights: Meeting the Needs of States and Private Parties. Questions of International Law, № 35, 5-18 [in English].
45. Nelson J. W. (2020). The Artemis Accords and the Future of International Space Law. Insights, 24, № 31, 1-7 [in English].
46. Novelty Merchant Raided over 'Lunar Subdivision': Published on May 25, 2004. URL: https://www.expatica.com/de/uncategorized/novelty-merchant-raided-over-l... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
47. Noyes J. E. (2011-2012). The Common Heritage of Mankind: Past, Present, and Future. Denver J. Int. Law and Policy, 40 (1-3), 447-471 [in English].
48. On the Exploration and Use of Space Resources: Law of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg of July 20th, 2017. URL: https://spaceagencypublic.lu/en/agency/legal-framework/law_space_resourc... translation.html (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
49. Pardo A. (1984). Ocean, Space and Mankind. Third World Quarterly, 6, № 3, 559-572 [in English].
50. Pop V. (2004). Extraterrestrial Real Estate: Debunking the Myth: Paper presented at the 47th Colloquium on the Law of Outer Space, 55th International Astronautical Congress, Vancouver, 6 October 2004. URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/
314236538_ Extraterrestrial_Real_Estate_Debunking_the_Myth (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
51. Resource Scarcity - A Global Security Threat? (2011). Eds S.-A. Mildner, S. Richter, G. Lauster. SWP Research Paper. Berlin: Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik [in English].
52. Samuelson P. (1954). The Pure Theory of Public Expenditure. Rev. Econ. and Statist., № 36, 387-389 [in English].
53. Shaw M. (2008). International Law. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press [in English].
54. Space Resource Utilization and the Artemis Accords: Proposal, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment of New Zealand,June 30, 2021. URL: https://www.mbie.govt.nz/dmsdocument/15305-space-resource-utilisation-an... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
55. Stang G. (2013). Global Commons: Between Cooperation and Competition. European Union Institute for security studies, 1-4. URL: https://www.iss.europa.eu/content/global-commons-between-cooperation-and... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
56. The Artemis Accords: Principles for Cooperation in the Civil Exploration and Use of the Moon, Mars, Comets, and Asteroids for Peaceful Purposes, signed 13.10.20. URL: https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis-accords/index.html (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
57. The Lunar Gold Rush: How Moon Mining Could Work, May 29, 2015. URL: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/thelunar-gold-rush-how-moon-mining... (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
58. Toppetta A. (2017). Beni comuni: dalla tragedia alla riscoperta: Tesi di Master. Roma. URL: https:// tesi.luiss.it/id/eprint/19924 (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in Italian].
59. U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act: Public Law 114-90 of November 25, 2015. URL: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-114publ90/pdf/PLAW-114publ90.pdf (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
60. Weiss E. B. (2014). Nature and the Law: the Global Commons and the Common Concern of Humankind. Sustainable Humanity, Sustainable Nature: Our Responsibility, Pontifical Academy of Sciences, Extra Series 41, 1-16. URL: www.pas.va/content/dam/accademia/pdf/es41/es41-brownweiss.pdf (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
61. Wolfrum R. (1983). The Principle of the Common Heritage of Humankind. Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches öffentliches Recht und Völkerrecht, 312-337. URL: http://www.zaoerv.de (Last accessed: 30.07.2021) [in English].
62. Wrench J. G. (2019). Non-Appropriation, No Problem: The Outer Space Treaty Is Ready for Asteroid Mining. Case Western Reserve J. Inter. Law, 51, № 1, 437-462.