Subsurface remote sensing in the p-band for the determination of soil water content in different landscape and climatic conditions
|1Lyalko, VI, 2Wulfson, LD, 2Kotlar, AL, 3Ryabokonenko, AD, 2Freilicher, VD |
1State institution «Scientific Centre for Aerospace Research of the Earth of the Institute of Geological Sciences of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
2Bar-Ilan University, Israel
3State institution «Scientific Centre for Aerospace Research of the Earth of the Institute of Geological Science of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 2007, 13 ;(Supplement1):015-018|
|Publication Language: Russian|
We report the use of the microwave remote sensing as a technique with great potential for the mapping of subsurface soil water content. Remote sensing experiments were conducted in different landscape and climatic conditions of the partially forest-covered Chernobyl nuclear disaster area and the Negev desert. The remote sensor used was a continuous wave frequency modulated /"-band scatterometer along with the collection ground trust data such as surface roughness and volumetric soil moisture. The results of the microwave experiments are in good agreement with the developed theoretical models that take into account the effects of the plant cover, surface roughness and interference at the beginning of soil irrigation.
|Keywords: scatterometer, soil moisturt, subsurface remote sensing|
1. Engman E. T. Applications of microwave remote sensing of soil moisture for water resources and agriculture. Remote Sensing of Environment, 35, 213—226 (1991).
2. Jiankang Ji., Henning S., Preben G. «Estimation of soil moisture from the MAESTRO-1 SAR data of Flevoland», Sensors and environmental applications of remote sensing, 103—109 (Balkema, Rotterdam, 1995).
3. Lyalko V. I., et al. Soil Moisture (Water-Content) Assessment by an Airborne Scatterometer: The Chernobyl Disaster Area and the Negev Desert». Remote Sensing Environ., 71, 309—319 (Elsevier Science Inc., 2000).
4. Pereira J. M. C., Oliveira T. M., Paul J. C. P. Satellite-based estimation of mediterranean shrubland structural parameters. Adv. remote sensing, 4 (3), 14—20 (1995).
5. Shutko A. M. Microwave radiometry of water terrain surfaces, 174 p. (Nauka, Moscow, 1986).