Theory of low-scale mhd waves in the near equatorial region of the earth plasmasphere
|1Burdo, OS, 1Cheremnykh, OK, 2Verkhoglyadova, OP |
1Space Research Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the State Space Agency of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
2Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 2001, 7 ;(Supplement2):074-083|
|Section: Space and Atmospheric Physics|
|Publication Language: English|
Study of low-scale MHD waves in the inner Earth magnetosphere was performed using the standard set of ballooning mode equations obtained naturally for finite pressure plasmas in general magnetic field geometries. Flute- and ballooning-type low-scale disturbances in the near equatorial plasma-sphere where they may have maximum growth rates were studied. The ballooning mode stability condition was obtained, the wave excitation spectrum was investigated. Corresponding dispersion equations for low-frequency wave modes were formulated and analysed. Dependencies of eigenfre-quencies and growth rates on plasma pressure and Mcllwain parameter were discussed.
1. Burdo O. S., Cheremnykh O. K., Verkhoglyadova O. P. Study of Ballooning Modes in the Near Equatorial Region of the Earth Plasmasphere. Ukrainian J. Physics, 45 (7), 803—811 (2000) [in Ukrainian].
2. Burdo O. S., Cheremnykh O. K., Verkhoglyadova O. P. Study of ballooning modes in the inner magnetosphere of the Earth. Izvestiya Akademii nauk. Ser. Fizicheskaya, 64 (9), 1897—1901 (2000) [in Russian].
3. Lifshitz E. M., Pitayevskij L. P. Physical kinetics (Ser. Theoretical physics; Vol. 10). (Nauka, Moscow, 1979) [in Russian].
4. Burdo O. S., Cheremnykh O. K., Verkhoglyadova O. P. Ballooning modes instability in the space plasmas. In: Proc. 1998 Int. Congress on Plasma Physics. (Praha, 23 June—3 Jule, 1998).
5. Burdo O. S., Cheremnykh O. K., Verkhoglyadova O. P. Theory of low-scale MHD waves in the inner magnetosphere of the Earth. In: Proc. of Intern. Symp. From solar corona through interplanetary space, into Earth prime s magnetosphere and ionosphere: Interball, ISTP satellites, and ground-based observation. (Kyiv, 1-4 February, 2000).
6. Cheng C. Z., Chang T. C, Lin C. A., Tsai W. H. In: J. Geophys. Res., 98, 11339 (1993).