Institutional and legal model for public procurement of products of Earth observation in Ukraine
|1Hurova, AM, 1Malolitneva, VK |
1V.M. Koretsky Institute of state and law of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, International Space Law Centre, Kyiv, Ukraine
|Space Sci. & Technol. 2021, 27 ;(3):93-107|
|Publication Language: Ukrainian|
The article explores the mechanism of public procurement in the sphere of providing the remote sensing services to public entities. Authors emphasize on the benefits of the centralized procurement of remotely sensed data that will lead to cost savings of state funds through the avoidance of duplicate purchases. Authors give special consideration to the difference in products obtained within the Earth observation (EO) process, the purchase of which can be carried out according to different procedures, as well as the duality of the status of the National Center for the Management and Testing of Space Facilities (NCMTSF) as a supplier and intermediary in public procurement legal relations. It is determined that NCMTSF as a centralized procurement organization will collect requests from contracting authorities (public consumers) for remote sensing services, analyze them for the possibility of satisfying it with products from the existing own fund or the need to purchase remote sensing data. It is argued that in case of impossibility to provide relevant services from the available resources of the remote sensing fund, but economic feasibility of purchasing raw remote sensing data, considering the consolidated application of public consumers, NCMTSF will act as a centralized procurement organization. It is emphasized that, unlike other centralized procurement organizations, the procurement contract with the winner of the procurement will be concluded by NCMTSF. NCMTSF will provide free of charge public authorities, enterprises, institutions, and organizations with raw data information products which were purchased at the expense of state budget according to their requests. It is suggested that in case of impossibility and economic inefficiency of providing data processing services, NCMTSF as a centralized procurement organization organizes procurement in the interests of public consumers. The procurement contract is concluded between the public consumer and the winner of the procurement. That is, in this case, the NCMTSF performs an intermediary function of procurement organization, which can professionally qualify the participants and determine the most economically advantageous tender.
In addition, several procedures have been discovered that will unify suppliers’ offers according to contracting authorities’ technical requirements and optimize budget spending, that was based on an analysis of domestic legislation on public procurement and models for the procurement of remote sensing products in space states such as the USA, Australia and India. The article provides an in-depth analysis of the implementation of multi-use supplier list as prequalification system for potential economic operators of remote sensing services.
|Keywords: centralized procurement organization, Earth observation, list of suppliers, public procurement|
1. Butko I. M., Mamarev V. M., Ozhinsky V. V., Kharchenko S. P. (2017). Information of remote sensing of the Earth in the system of public administration: current status and prospects. Space Science and Technology, 23, No 2, 17—23.
2. The Copernicus Regional Center of the European Union Program has started operating in Ukraine. URL: http://spacecenter.gov.ua/news/v-ukraini-rozpochav-robotu-regionalnij-centr-programi-ievropejskogo-sojuzu-copernicus.html (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
3. Hrutsynova V. K. (2013). The essence of the lists of suppliers in accordance with the Agreement on Public Procurement of the WTO. Entrepreneurship, Economy and Law, No 6, 36—40.
4. Some issues of the Ministry of Strategic Industries of Ukraine: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of September 7, 2020 No 819 (2020). Official Gazette of Ukraine, No 75, St. 2381.
5. Procurement of services for the provision of ultra-high resolution remote sensing satellites. URL: https://prozorro.gov.ua/tender/UA-2018-06-26-000749-c (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
6. ImageSat International N.V. Clarity-project. URL: https://clarity-project.info/tenderer/560015638 (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
7. Satellite data processing and supply services. URL: https://prozorro.gov.ua/tender/UA-2019-12-10-004666-b (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
8. Principles concerning the remote sensing of the Earth from outer space, Adopted by UN General Assembly resolution 41/65 of 3 December 1986. URL: https://www.un.org/ru/documents/decl_conv/conventions/earth_remote_sensi... (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
9. On the definition of the state institution “Professional Procurement” by a centralized procurement organization: Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 25.09.2019 No 846-r (2019). Official Gazette of Ukraine, No 77, St. 2660.
10. On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine “On Public Procurement” and some other legislative acts of Ukraine on improving public procurement: Law of Ukraine of September 19, 2019 No 114-IX (2019). Bull. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, No 45, St. 289.
11. On state regulation in the field of remote sensing of the Earth: Draft Law of Ukraine. URL: http://www.drs.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/6358-02.05.2018.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
12. On approval of the Regulation on the State Space Agency of Ukraine: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of May 14, 2015 No 281 (2015). Official Gazette of Ukraine, No 40, Art.1201.
13. On approval of the Procedure for concluding and implementing framework agreements: Order of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine dated 15.09.2017 No 1372 (2017). Official Gazette of Ukraine, No 88, St. 2706.
14. On the peculiarities of the establishment and operation of centralized procurement organizations: Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of December 27, 2018 No 1216 (2019). Official Gazette of Ukraine, No 24, St. 841
15. On approval of the Concept of the draft Law of Ukraine “On state regulation in the field of remote sensing of the Earth”: Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 28.08.2013 No 657-r (2013). Government Courier, No 173.
16. On central executive bodies: Law of Ukraine of March 17, 2011 No 3166-VI (2011). Bull. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, No 38, St. 385.
17. What is a Framework Agreement? Its advantages, stages. URL: https://zakupki.com.ua/shho-take-ramkova-ugoda-yiyi-perevagy-etapy.html (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
18. Arrowsmith S. (2004). Public procurement: an appraisal of the UNCITRAL Model Law as a global standard. Intl. and Comp. Law Quarterly, No 53, 1—46.
19. Arrowsmith S. (2011). The Revised Agreement on Government Procurement: Changes to the Procedural Rules and Other Transparency Provisions. The WTO regime on government procurement: Challenges and Reforms; Eds S. Arrowsmith, R. Anderson. Great Britain: Cambridge University Press, 285—336.
20. China Great Wall Industry Corporation. URL: https://prozorro.gov.ua/tender/ search/?query= China%20Great%20Wall%20Industry%20Corporation (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
21. Commercial Remote Sensing Data Contract. USGS. URL: https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3010/ report.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
22. Cooperative Panel for Optical, Geospatial, Radar and Elevation Supplies and Services (OGRE). Australian Government. Geoscience Australia. URL: http://www.ga.gov.au/webtemp/ image_cache/GA18981.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
23. Current Registered Suppliers — SCM5841. NSW Government. URL: https://tenders.nsw.gov.au/?event= public.scheme.viewApprovedVendors&RFTUUID=74F32531-D4C2-7E6B-6D40D1FB8103AB0D
24. Doescher S. W., Ristyb R., Sunne R. H. Use of commercial remote sensing satellite data in support of emergency response. ISPRS Workshop on Service and Application of Spatial Data Infrastructure. P. 122. URL: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.222.5164&rep= rep1&type=pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
25. EROS-B. URL: https://prozorro.gov.ua/plan/search/?query=EROS-B (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
26. Italy-Ispra: Framework Contract for the Supply of Satellite Remote Sensing Data and Associated Services. URL: https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:611325-2019:TEXT:EN:HTML&src=0 (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
27. Optical, Geospatial, Radar and Elevation Supplies and Services (OGRE). Annual Report 2011—2012. Australian Government. Geoscience Australia. URL: https://d28rz98at9flks.cloudfront.net/74630/74630.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
28. Optical, Geospatial, Radar, and Elevation Supplies and Services Panel (OGRE). Australian Government. Geoscience Australia. Geoscience. Annual Report 2012—2013. URL: https://d28rz98at9flks.cloudfront.net/78944/78944.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
29. Portugal-Lisbon: Provision of satellite images and value added products. URL: https://ted. europa.eu/udl?uri=TED: NOTICE:220636-2018:TEXT:EN:HTML (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
30. Public Works and Procurement Act 1912 No 45. NSW Legislation. URL: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/act/1912/45/part11 (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
31. Remote Sensing Data Policy. URL: https://www.indiawaterportal.org/sites/indiawaterportal.org/ files/Remote_sensing_data_policy_2011_released_by_ISRO.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
32. Remote Sensing Services and Equipment Prequalification Scheme. NSW Government. URL: https://tenders.nsw.gov.au/?event=public.scheme.show&RFTUUID=74F32531-D4C2-7E6B-6D40D1FB8103AB0D (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
33. Risks of Data Supply of Earth Observation from Space for Australia (2015). Report prepared for the Cooperative Research Centre for Spatial Information. P. 25. URL: http://www.crcsi.com.au/assets/Program-2/Risks-of-Data-Supply-of-Earth-Observations-from-Space-for-Australia-Symbios-Communications-Final.pdf (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).
34. Standing Offer Notice View — SON355807. Australian Government. URL: https://www.tenders.gov.au/Son/Show/15FC1B30-D3C3-03C2-B821-918E2911C416 (Last accessed: 11.02.2020).