Effect of hypergravity stress on gaseous exchange and survival of young and old guinea pigs
|1Muradian, Kh.K, 2Timchenko, AN |
1State Institution "D.F.Chebotarov Institute of Gerontology of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv, Ukraine
2State Institution "Institute of Gerontology im.D.F.Chebotarova National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv, Ukraine
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 1999, 5 ;(4):28–30|
|Section: Space Life Sciences|
|Publication Language: Russian|
Hypergravity tolerance decreases in aging Guinea pigs, the range being lower than in other studied species of laboratory mammals −mice, hamsters, and rats. Moreover, for the gaseous exchange rate and body temperature, the decline during the stress is not characteristic for Guinea pigs of the both age groups, in contrast to other species. In general, hypergravity tolerance of Guinea pigs seems more similar to that of humans, and Guinea pigs could be more appropriate experimental models.
|Keywords: appropriate experimental models, hypergravity stress, space life|
1. Muradian Kh. K., Timchenko A. N. Vozrastnye osobennosti vlijanija gipergravitacionnogo stressa na vyzhivaemost', gazoobmen i termoreguljaciju krys. Probl. Staren. Dolgolet., 6, 11 —16 (1996) [in Russian].
2. Timchenko A. N., Mozzhukhina T. G., and Muradian Kh. K. Effect of the Hypergravitational Stress on the Survival, Gas Exchange, Termoregulation, and Synthesis of RNA and Protein in Mice of Different Age, Probl. Staren. Dolgolet., 6, 145—150 (1996) [in Russian].
3. Frol'kis V. V., Muradian Kh. K., Timchenko A. N., Mozzhukhina T. G. Effects of hypergravity stress on intensities of gaseous exchange, RNA and protein synthesis, thermoregulation, and survival of animals of different species. Kosm. nauka tehnol., 3 (3-4), 16— 21 (1997) [in Russian].
4. Frol'kis V. V., Muradian Kh. K., Timchenko A. N., et al. Geroprotectors as graviprotectors? Kosm. nauka tehnol., 3 (3-4), 28–33 (1997) [in Russian].
5. Miquel J., Souza K. Greavity effects on reproduction, development, and aging. Adv. Space Biology and Medicine, 1, 71—97 (1991).
6. Space Physiology and Medicine, Eds A. E. Nicogossian, C. L. Huntoon, S. L. Pool, 3rd edition, 573 p. (Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, 1993).