Advisability of the axes orientation in p-terphenyl crystal of scintillation detector of the charged particle monitor in ChemiX solar X-ray spectrophotometer
|1Dudnik, OV, 2Lazarev, IV, 1Kurbatov, EV, 3Kowaliński, M, 3Podgorski, P, 3Ścisłowski, D |
1Institute of Radio Astronomy of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kharkiv, V.N. Karazin National University of Kharkiv, Kharkiv, Ukraine
2Institute for Scintillation Materials, NAS of Ukraine, Kharkiv, Ukraine
3Space Research Centre of Polish Academy of Sciences, Wroclaw, Poland
|Space Sci.&Technol. 2018, 24 ;(3):33-39|
|Section: Space Instruments|
|Publication Language: Russian|
Lightweight organic scintillators have a moderate technical light yield as compared with inorganic scintillators. In order to obtain the highest luminescence intensity from p-terphenyl single crystal, we used the distinguishing feature of organic crystals consisting of the unit cell of the crystal lattice in the inequality of the axes lengths inside.
The aim of this work is to study the scintillation properties of a small-sized detector of highly energetic charged particles based on the p-terphenyl single crystal along its characteristic axes a, b, and c. We have made a cubic-shaped detector with dimensions 6x6x6 mm2 as well as measured and processed the energy spectra of conversion electrons using radioactive isotopes 137Cs and 207Bi. We used silicon photomultiplier with total active area 6´6 mm2 with the common number of pixels of 57600 as the photodetector. The measurements were conducted at a stabilized temperature of T = 15°C and a depressed atmospheric pressure P ≈ 0.1 Bar. We analyzed amplitudes and energy resolutions of monoenergetic electron lines and characteristic X-ray radiation. We determined that the amplitude of the scintillation signal registered along the a axis of the crystal is less on ≈ 2--12 %, depending on the particle energy than the amplitude measured along the b axis, and even less on ≈ 15-20 % along the c axis.
We conclude that 1) the best technical light yield of a small scintillation detector fabricated on the base of p-terphenyl single crystal of regular shape is reached when light flashes are registered along the axis b of crystallographic lattice; 2) the p-terphenyl single crystal should be oriented with respect to active area of the photodetector taking into account the described experimental studies while the manufacture of anti-coincident scintillation detector for high-energy charged particle monitor BPM of the solar X-ray spectrophotometer ChemiX of the interplanetary space mission "Interhelioprobe”.
|Keywords: charged particle monitor, energetic spectrum, Interhelioprobe mission, p-terphenyl single crystal, scintillation detector, technical light yield, X-ray spectrophotometer ChemiX, β-particles|
1. Galunov N. Z., Seminozhenko V. P. Radioluminescence of organic condensed matter. Theory and application. K.: Nauk. Dumka, 2015. — 464 p. [in Russian].
2. Dudnik O. V., Kurbatov E. V., Zajtsevsky I. L., Sylwester J., Siarkowski M., Kowaliński M., Podgórski P. The BPD energetic particle detector as part of the Solar X-ray photometer ChemiX for the “Interhelioprobe” interplanetary mission. Radio Physics and Radio Astronomy, 20 (3), 247—260 (2015) [in Russian].
3. Milman Yu. V., Galunov N. Z., Chugunova S. I., Lazarev I. V., Istomin B. V., Zaporozhets O. I., Goncharova I. V. The study of mechanical properties of p-terphenyl crystalline molecular scintillators by indentation method. Nanosistemi, Nanomateriali, Nanotechnologii, 14 (3), 461—476 (2016) [in Russian].
4. Dudnik O. V., Kurbatov E. V., Sylwester J., Siarkowski M., Podgórski P., Kowaliński M. Background Particle Monitor — a part of the solar X-ray spectrophotometer ChemiX: principles of the operation and construction. 15th Ukrainian Conference on Space Research, 24—28 Aug., 2015, Odesa. Abstracts. P. 80. (Kyiv, 2015).
5. Galunov N. Z., Lazarev I. V., Martynenko E. V., Vashchenko V. V., Vashchenko E. V. Distribution coefficient of 1,4-diphenyl-1,3-butadiene in p-terphenyl single crystal and it influence on scintillation crystal light output. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 616, 176—186 (2015).
6. Kuznetsov V. D., Zelenyi L. M., Zimovets I. V., Anufreychik K., Bezrukikh V., Chulkov I. V. et al. The Sun and Heliosphere Explorer — The Interhelioprobe Mission. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, 56 (7), 781—841 (2016).
7. Sylwester J., Siarkowski M., Bakała J., Szaforz Ź., Kowaliński M., Steślicki M., et al. Solar X-ray from 0.3 A.U. The ChemiX Bragg Spectrometer on Interhelioprobe. In: “Solar and Stellar Flares and their Effects on Planets (IAU S320)”, 2016. P. 442—446. Editors: A. G. Kosovichev, S. L. Hawley, P. Heinzel Cambridge University Press, 470 p. (2016).